Frequently Asked Questions
- Platinum Performance® is made from high quality, bio-available ingredients, as opposed to ingredients such as corn, distiller grains and wheat middlings commonly found in commercial livestock and equine feeds.
- Platinum Performance® is meticulously made in small batches in our own facility, as opposed to the feed mills where most pelleted commercial feeds are produced using high heat, moisture and shear which can damage the integrity and nutrient content of raw ingredients.
- Platinum Performance® provides a highly concentrated source of Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins and trace minerals. Each scoop of Platinum Performance® contains more beneficial ingredients than found in many pounds of many commercials feeds. With Platinum Performance®, horses can get more by consuming less, avoiding "filler" calories found in commercial feeds.
- Even the highest quality grain based commercial feeds provide an abundance of pro-inflammatory Omega-6 fatty acids. Platinum Performance® was designed to provide a rich supply of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, that support overall health and optimal immune function.
- Platinum Performance® has been shown to improve a horse's ability to properly utilize calories from their diet. By increasing feed efficiency, horse owners can decrease the amount of calories they feed from hay and grain, helping to reduce your feed bill while positively impacting equine health.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids cannot be produced in sufficient quantities by a horse's body to support health, and therefore must be consumed in the equine diet. In the wild, horses are natural grazers and consume 2-5 times more healthy Omega-3 fatty acids than Omega-6s, where the modern grain-based diet provides 17 times more harmful Omega-6 fatty acids than Omega-3's.
This dietary imbalance causes excess inflammation and can predispose horses to a host of chronic and severe health conditions. By feeding a forage based diet and supplementing with Omega-3's, antioxidants and amino acids, you can help to support normal healthy levels of inflammation in your horse's body.
Feeds can go rancid for a number of reasons. It is common for commercial feeds to have elevated levels of rancidity for a number of reasons such as ingredients like corn and distiller grains, the high heat/high moisture manufacturing process and normal storage methods. Rancidity damages fat content in feeds, causing excess oxidation that is harmful to a horse's body and cell structure.
The high levels of antioxidants in Platinum Performance® can help to maintain normal levels of oxidation and positively impact a horse's overall health and performance.
Quality & Satisfaction Guarantee
If for any reason you're not 100% satisfied, contact us for a replacement or refund.
At Platinum Performance® quality begins in the development of our formulas. Our nutritionists, veterinarians and researchers design our formulas with unmatched results in mind. We take great care in sourcing the highest quality and most bio-available form of ingredients, and we test each lot of raw ingredients for potency, purity, and contaminants.
We manufacture all Platinum Performance® products in our own facility with a seasoned team of experts in nutrition, food science and quality assurance.
Keeping Cool - The body runs cooler when it metabolizes Omega-3 fatty acids.
Less Lactic Acid - Minimizes production of exercise induced lactic acid.
Muscle Support - Intramuscular fat stores are front-line support during exercise.
Encourage Recovery - Helps delay the onset of fatigue and supports muscle.
Resveratrol is a compound that has received much public and scientific attention in recent years for its effect on inflammation(1). However, resveratrol has limited potential due to its poor bio-availability and its rapid degradation once absorbed. Pterostilbene (ter-o-STIL-been) is a methylated analogue of resveratrol that is far more promising as a nutritional supplement. For example, pterostilbene is 70-90% bio-available after oral intake, whereas resveratrol has a 20-30% absorption rate(2). Furthermore, pterostilbene remains intact in the blood for up to 7 times longer than resveratrol(3). Learn More About Platinum Longevity
1. Frémont L. Biological effects of resveratrol. LifeSci 2000;66:663-673.
2. Kapetanovic I, Muzzio M, Huang Z, et al. Pharmacokinetics, oral bioavailability, and metabolic profile of resveratrol and its dimethylether analog, pterostilbene, in rats. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2011;68:593-601.
3. Remsberg C, Yáñez J, Ohgami Y, et al. Pharmacometrics of pterostilbene: preclinical pharmacokinetics and metabolism, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and analgesic activity. Phytother Res 2008;22:169-179.
Reproduction & Fertility
Tendon & Ligament Health
What is the difference between tendons and ligaments?
Tendons link muscle to bone and are designated as either flexor or extensor, assisting in bending and extending equine joints.
Ligaments link bone to bone and act as stabilizing structures that hold bones together and prevent them from overextending.
- Cartilage health and synthesis
- Synovial fluid viscosity
- Production of aggrecan, which can help maintain healthy cartilage
- Synthesis of glycosaminoglycans, components of cartilage and other connective tissue
Platinum Performance® CJ and Ortho-Chon® HA formulas contain Hyaluronic Acid (HA) to help lubricate and cushion your horse's joints. Although it is commonly administered intra-articularly (injected), orally administered HA has been shown, in several studies, to be bio-available (absorbable) and effective in supporting joint health.
By providing your horse a daily dose of HA it is constantly available to the body and actively working to help support your horse's joints. If your horse has an existing joint condition, or is subjected to activities that can lead to joint degeneration, you should consider an oral HA supplement to help support his joints.
- Vital in maintaining normal blood glucose levels and metabolizing carbohydrates
- Used by the body to support healthy glucose tolerance
- Helps maintain normal blood sugar levels
- Important co-factor for insulin function
- Exerts insulin-like effects in vitro by supporting insulin sensitivity
- May also help promote healthy fat loss and lean muscle tissue development
- Excess weight gain or fatty deposits
- Drinking excessive amounts of water and/or excessive urination
- Long, coarse, wavy coat that doesn’t properly shed in season
- Pot-bellied appearance with a lack of muscle on the topline
Skin & Allergy
- Platinum Performance® Equine enhances the nutrient balance of today's equine feeds and forages by providing the Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, trace minerals and amino acids that horses need.
- 2. Horses thrive on a natural diet consisting of high quality hay, pasture (if available) and Platinum Performance® Equine. Results show that most horses fed proper amounts of forage and Platinum Performance® Equine are better conditioned, maintain or establish proper weight and perform optimally.
Mucous Membranes: If your horse’s mucous membranes in the nose and mouth are dry or red, he may be dehydrated.
Capillary Refill: If you press and remove your finger against your horse’s gums, the spot should turn white and regain color quickly. The longer it takes the capillaries to refill correlates with the severity of the dehydration.
- Imbalances in equine diet or periods of food deprivation
- Stall confinement
- Feeding a high concentrate diet
- Prolonged NSAID therapy
- Poor mastication (chewing)
- Change in management (such as trailering, new environments, changes in daily routines)
- Overwork (prolonged periods of strenuous exercise training)
- Helps maintain the integrity of the digestive tract: supports normal gastric acid production and cell regeneration.
- Contributes to the well-being of the horse: helps manage the clinical signs commonly associated with stress.
- Strengthens the health of the performance horse: limits the consequences of training-related stress.
- Helps maintain overall condition by supporting healthy appetite and digestion
- Recurrent mild to moderate non-specific colic
- Loss of appetite (mild to moderate)
- Weight loss
- Poor hair coat
- Decline in body condition
- Decreased athletic performance
- Teeth grinding, excessive salivation, yawning
- Decrease in feed efficiency
- Mild diarrhea
- Increased laying down